The following letter is posted for your information only AND does NOT reflect the opinion or views of any employee or family member associated with the Susan Polk Insurance Agency, Inc.

Letter:  Paying forward
Originally Posted:  Sunday, August 19, 2012 12:00 am
Posted by:  D.A.S. (name removed by request)

An open letter to my insurance company:

Enclosed please find a rebate check for $15.40 that I am returning. Before I explain why I am returning this, let me state that I give Anthem Blue Cross & Blue Shield permission to use copies of this letter and any statements herein for the purposes of lobbying for the repeal of the Affordable Care Act (“Obamacare”) — just leave off my contact information please.

I am a self-employed accountant and my wife is a registered nurse who works part time. We do not have access to group coverage through an employer, so I pay for insurance for myself and our children.

If Congress dictated that accountants had to spend 80 percent of the revenues collected from clients on actual costs performing the work, and the remaining 20 percent would be allowed for overhead expenses and (hopefully) some profit, accountants would be rioting in the streets.

The 80/20 rule that required the enclosed rebate limits the profit margin of your company by statute. This is unconscionable. I do not believe our government has the right to limit the profit margin of any private business. If your premiums were too high, I would simply buy somewhere else.

I cannot repeal the ACA, but I can refuse to accept this rebate. Please use these (small) funds any way you wish; it is your earned profit. Of course, if you use it to lobby for the repeal of Obamacare, that would make me very happy. Who knows, maybe others will read this and follow suit.

Let us hope our nation returns to some common sense and a free market system before the rewards for productivity are stripped from the rest of us. If I don’t use my voice to stand up for the protection of your profits now, I have no right to complain when the government decides to rob mine later.



Schedule a FREE Consultation Today.

For 40 years, we’ve been helping San Luis Obispo make the best insurance decisions. Contact us today for a FREE consultation.